Vulnerability is a Stance of the Heart


 

So it’s been exactly 3 months since I cut out alcohol, and I have to say that it feels like I’m waking up. The beauty of the trees, the feeling of the crisp air on my skin - It’s like I’ve never been in Colorado in the fall before even though I’ve lived here my whole life! I guess I didn’t consider before how alcohol doesn’t numb just the unpleasant feelings - it numbs all the feels. I’m telling you this NOT because I’m hoping for your thumbs up or stamp of approval - the joy I’m finding in my life is reward enough - I’m telling you this because I’m hoping that someone out there somewhere may need to hear it. See, being vulnerable isn’t always about you. Yes, sharing your feelings with others may help you work through them, but sometimes it’s the people we share these vulnerable messages with who are impacted the most. 


It blows my mind to think about how cool it is that we are all different; that we each get to experience life differently and then come together and share that with each other! Being vulnerable is about connection, becoming vessels of communication to channel the light that shines through each of us uniquely. I believe people come into each other’s lives to swap key insights they are each holding for the other. When we are present and open, the divine can channel through us and connect with the energy of the people around us. 


The difficult part of allowing vulnerability is the ego. The ego is the voice inside that says, “I’m the same person I always was. I was right then, and I’m right now”. The ego struggles with transformation as though it’s an admittance of being wrong before. But this right / wrong type of dualistic thinking is what gets us stuck. One trend we can probably all agree on, that is present at every point in history, is that we are always wrong. But if everything we experience is a lesson; if every situation and person represents an opportunity, then even being ‘wrong’ is a stepping stone towards evolution. 


Vulnerability is a stance of the heart - an openness, a belief. It’s a willingness to let go of the old self and trust in the deep current to carry us where we need to go. It’s also a trust, regardless of if it’s a grounded in reason or not, that people are doing their best. Brene Brown says it best, “I will never know if they are doing their best or not, but to believe they are makes my life better”. 


For the full blog and more, visit www.katypaulson.com and shout out to the beautiful artwork by Andrea Fast! www.andreafastartworks.com

Comments

Popular Posts